Tottenham target Giovani Lo Celso tells Real Betis he wants to leave club this summer

Tottenham target Giovani Lo Celso tells Real Betis he wants to leave club this summer


It was claimed that Spurs submitted an offer of £53million back in May for the midfielder, which was turned away by Real Betis.

Mauricio Pochettino is believed to have earmarked his compatriot to Daniel Levy as a top transfer target this summer alongside Tanguy Ndombele, who has already become the club’s record signing.

Negotiations have been hindered by Lo Celso’s appearance at this summer’s Copa America in Brazil, in which Argentine crashed out in the semi-finals against the hosts.

Lo Celso is currently away on his holidays and is expected to return for pre-season training shortly, however there now appears to have been a twist in regards to his future.

According to local newspaper ABC of Seville, the 23-year-old has told the club he wants to leave this summer.

The report states that the club have a verbal agreement with the former Paris Saint-Germain star not to sell him for less than £67million.

Lo Celso is said to be happy in Andalusia and likes everything about Spain but the decision is based upon the future of his career.

He wants to play for a club that regularly plays in European competitions, particularly the Champions League, which is something Tottenham can immediately offer.

There is still a chance that Lo Celso could stay put at the Benito Villamarin Stadium permitting Tottenham do not reach Betis’ valuation.

Benfica are also said to be interested given that they have £107m to spend following the sale of Joao Felix to Atletico Madrid.

Betis boss Rubi has insisted the club will need to sell before they can bring in new faces amid links to former Liverpool target Nabil Fekir.

“We all want new faces soon but in the end we also look for the economic benefit and it is not easy,” Rubi told El Desmarque.

“I know who does or does not have that intention. We are talking about a case in which the idea is very clear to leave [hinting at Lo Celso].

“The rest is staying.”

The 49-year-old coach later revealed his excitement at being Lo Celso’s coach, claiming he wants to aid his development should he stay put beyond the August 8 deadline for Premier League clubs.

“It could be, as a coach, I am delighted that he can join and help him do what he did last year and enjoy football,” he added.

TAGS
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)