Five-star resort Elivi Skiathos in Greece
Take advantage of the hotel’s stunning setting, surrounded by forest, a lagoon and wildlife refuge and explore on a bike or horse-ride along one of 25 marked nature trails or in the open-air gym overlooking the Aegean Sea you can join a yoga class or even try out Acroyoga (acrobatic yoga).
At the Kids Club, just opened last year, activities aiming to prise youngsters away from their tablets and game stations include foraging through the forest with an instructor in search of figs and pears to make your own fruit juice and leaf gathering to make headbands.
● From €197 per night based on two sharing; elivihotels.com
Take in the invigorating Alpine air and the spectacular mountain scenery of Serre Chevalier on a skiing trip – just the ticket for banishing seasonal blues.
Located just off a blue run, down from one of the nearby lifts, means guests can easily get back to Le Grand Aigle Hotel after a full day on the slopes and head straight to its Pure Altitude Spa.
Jump into the Jacuzzi, enjoy a session in the sauna or treat yourself to a massage or facial.
● Ski Solutions offers seven nights on half board from £1,110pp (based on two sharing) including flights and transfers. Spa access from £8.50pp; skisolutions.com, 020 7471 7761
Le Grand Aigle Hotel & Spa
Tokyo’s Palace Hotel is tapping into the spirit of wellbeing as the Japanese capital gears up for the Olympic and Paralympic games this summer.
The five-star hotel’s Energizing Health and Wellness package promises to refresh both body and mind with a holistic menu of treatments ranging from massage therapies and guided jogging/biking sessions around the city’s most interesting neighbourhoods, to Zen meditation with a Buddhist monk, the Japanese tea ceremony and swimming with a former Olympian.
● The two-night B&B package starts at £1,198pp, staying in an Executive Suite with Club Lounge access; en.palacehoteltokyo.com
Stunning views from the spa at the Palace Hotel in Tokyo
Slam on the brakes and pull over into the calm of Corinthia London and spend a peaceful day in the spa recharging body and mind.
Spanning four floors, the five-star hotel’s ESPA Life spa is an oasis of calm in the hectic heart of the capital.
Sign up for its new Urban Escape package which aims to counteract the stresses and strains of life in the fast lane. Relax as you enjoy a restorative massage (choose between Swedish, aromatherapy or hot stones massage) and radiance-boosting facial.
And there’s time to unwind on the spa’s stunning Thermal Floor complete with sauna, pools, marble heated loungers and sleep pods and over a light nutritious meal from the new spa lounge menu accompanied by a glass of Champagne.
● From £325 per person; espalifeatcorinthia.com, 020 7321 3000
The ESPA Life spa at the Corinthia hotel is an oasis of calm
FOREST OF DEAN, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Set where the Forest of Dean meets the Wye Valley, boutique hotel Tudor Farmhouse is ideally placed to experience Forest Bathing.
The Japanese have long enjoyed the beneficial powers of Shinrin-yoku – from lowering blood pressure to boosting the immune system – and now the nature therapy is branching out into Europe.
On a gentle walk through remote woodland, you will be invited by Forest Therapy Guide Carina Greenwood to “connect” with the trees, using all five senses, ‘bathing’ in the calming rural atmosphere.
Then back at the hotel you can dip into the complimentary Gratitude Journal packed with advice and tips to help boost confidence, self-esteem and happiness.
● A two-night Soul Soother break starts at £595 based on two sharing a Hatchling Room on half board and including the three-hour Forest Bathing session; tudorfarmhousehotel.co.uk, 01594 833046
The award-winning Vilalara Longevity Thalassa & Medical Spa at Vilalara Thalassa Resort harnesses the healing qualities of the Atlantic waters in a wide range of thalassotherapy treatments and wellness programmes.
Faro airport is just 50kms from this stunning beach resort, set in 11 hectares of lush gardens, which has direct access to a secluded sandy beach. A superb kids club complete with pool and games room means children can stay healthy and active as well.
Vilalara Longevity’s new Family Wellness package includes yoga, fitness and healthy cooking sessions for all the family.
Parents can enjoy a therapeutic or sports massage, daily activities such as Pilates and Fitball, Turkish bath and sauna.
● The seven-night Family Wellness Package starts at €2,347 based on two adults and one child staying in a Junior Suite Garden View. Flights extra; longevityvilalara.com
Longevity Spa at Vilalara Thalassa Resort
FIT FOR CRUISING
Taking a cruise may not be the holiday of choice for fitness fans but when they get on board they’ll be pleasantly surprised. Most major cruise lines have a state-of-the-art gym with the latest weight machines and cardio equipment. And you might be able to try out trends such as Hot Yoga and Peloton.
Celebrity Cruises’ $500million investment to renovate its fleet sees a modernised Celebrity Silhouette set sail from Southampton this year, complete with its own luxurious spa featuring the Sea Thermal Suite offering a range of relaxing signature therapies and treatments.
● Seven-night Norwegian Fjords round trip from Southampton sailing on May 9 starts at £1,074pp based on two sharing an Oceanview cabin. celebritycruises.co.uk
Recently named one of the UK’s best family-friendly hotels, Celtic Manor, set in 567 hectares of parkland just 30 minutes east of Cardiff, offers stacks of activities to keep children fit and happy including swimming, archery and pitch and putt.
Safe in the knowledge the children are having fun (there’s also a Nanny service) parents can make full use of the spa facilities to re-energise in the 20-metre pool, steam rooms, saunas, plunge pools and jacuzzi, not to mention a golf course.
● A two-night Restore Spa Break starts at £178pp (based on two sharing), including breakfast, three-course buffet dinner in the Olive Tree restaurant on the first night and a 50-minute treatment (choice of the Forum Revitaliser, Elemis Superfood Pro-Radiance Facial or Forum Massage) and full use of the facilities. Book through spabreaks.com or call 0800 043 6600.
Reap the benefits of Carden Park’s Spa in Cheshire
Claiming “a spa experience like no other”, the £10million Spa at Carden, opened last year amid 1,000 acres of grounds and its multi-sensory wellbeing garden – one of the UK’s biggest spa gardens – is undoubtedly the piece de resistance.
By ingenious design, the indoor spa spills outdoors to hidden hydrotherapy pools, inviting sun loungers set out on the terrace and lawns and winding paths leading to secluded garden areas.
What’s more, guests can reap the benefits all year round thanks to warming cabins that offer various healing heat experiences, including an outdoor sauna looking out over the countryside.
● One-night B&B Spa Escape break from £145pp includes a Spa Garden and Thermal Experience and 50-minute spa ritual treatment.