Home News Sick woman rushed off Qantas flight to be quarantined in Melbourne Airport

Sick woman rushed off Qantas flight to be quarantined in Melbourne Airport

0


Coronavirus scare in Melbourne as sick woman on a Qantas flight is rushed off a plane and urgently quarantined – terrifying passengers held on the tarmac for 90 minutes

  • Woman was rushed into quarantine after flying from Los Angeles to Melbourne
  • She was ill on the plane and passengers on board feared she had coronavirus
  • Woman was released from quarantine and was confirmed to not have the virus

Terrified passengers on board a Qantas plane feared they had been exposed to the deadly coronavirus after a woman fell ill as the plane touched down in Melbourne.

The passenger was taken away to be quarantined after the QF94 flight from Los Angeles landed at Melbourne Airport on Wednesday morning. 

The plane then sat on the tarmac for 90 minutes after the woman was removed by crews from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service.

A woman was rushed into quarantine at Melbourne Airport after landing on a flight from Los Angeles

A woman was rushed into quarantine at Melbourne Airport after landing on a flight from Los Angeles

Ashleigh, who was on board at the time, said travellers were worried they may have been exposed to the disease. 

‘[It was] pretty concerning considering the hype about coronavirus,’ she told Nine News.

‘It was just a worry that if someone were infected on the plane that all those passengers would have been exposed to it.’

She said that quarantine crews were investigating the plane and no passengers were able to leave.

The plane was forced to sit on the tarmac for an hour and a half while crews from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service removed the ill woman

The plane was forced to sit on the tarmac for an hour and a half while crews from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service removed the ill woman 

It is understood the woman was later cleared and released from quarantine.

She has been referred to a doctor regarding a cough she had. 

In Australia there are 13 confirmed cases of coronavirus. 

Passengers are seen arriving Sydney International Airport on January 23 after departing Wuhan

Passengers are seen arriving Sydney International Airport on January 23 after departing Wuhan 

AUSTRALIANS WITH THE CORONAVIRUS

NEW SOUTH WALES: 4 

January 25

  • Three men aged 43, 53, and 35 who had recently travelled to China are confirmed to have contracted the disease.
  • Two flew in from Wuhan while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.
  • They are being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in stable condition.

January 27 

  • A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person to test positive for the illness in NSW.
  • The woman, a student at UNSW, flew into Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
  • She is being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.

VICTORIA: 4

January 25

  • A Chinese national aged in his 50s becomes the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.
  • The man flew to Melbourne on China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.
  • He is now in quarantined isolation at Monash Hospital in Clayton in Melbourne’s east.

January 29

  • A Victorian man in his 60s is diagnosed with the coronavirus.
  • He became unwell on January 23 – two days after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak. 
  •  The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre. He was assessed as being well enough to stay at home.

January 30

  • A woman in her 40s is found to have coronavirus. 
  •  She was visiting from China and mostly spent time with her family.
  • She is being treated at Royal Melbourne Hospital.          

February 1

  • A woman in her 20s in Melbourne is found to have the virus

 QUEENSLAND: 3

January 29

  • Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese national wass diagnosed with the virus.
  • He is being treated at Gold Coast University Hospital.

January 30

  • A 42-year-old Chinese woman who was travelling in the same Wuhan tour group as the 44-year-old man tests positive. She is in Gold Coast University Hospital in stable condition.  

February 4

  • An eight-year-old boy has been diagnosed coronavirus. He is also from the tour group where the other Queensland cases came from.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2

February 1

  • A Chinese couple in their 60s who arrived in Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives are confirmed to have coronavirus.

CHINA: 2

January 30

  • Two Australians have been confirmed as having the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has raised the travel alert level to ‘do not travel’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
  • Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says unless people have contact with someone who is unwell and has come from that part of China, there is no need for current concern.

 

 

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here